Thursday, November 26, 2009

Pass the Cool-Aid

Benchmade 940 Osborne


It was a tough decision. I could not decide between the green 940 or the red 960. As the photo shows, I went with the green 940. I have quite a few black handle blades and wanted something other than black. After all, this was not going to be another $30 pocket knife. I really like the lines and design elements of all the Osborne designed Benchmades. So far I have been happy with the decision.

Specs:
Blade Shape - Modified Reverse Tanto. (nice tactical look but good belly for utility)
Blade Length - 3.40 (very capable)
Closed Length - 4.47 (a bit larger than my ideal pocket knife length.)
Handle Material - Aluminum (thankfully not as slick as you would think)
Locking Mechanism - AXIS (smoooooooth)
Blade Material - S30V (first experience with this steel)

Even though the handle is made of aluminum, it has somewhat of a chalky feel. Like the Mini Griptilian, the deployment is fast and smooth. As an added bonus, I have learned that the AXIS mechanism allows you to fine tune the action by way of a locking nut. The black hardware accents the green handle very well. The more I use this knife, the more I like the blade style. Very functional. I have always liked the looks of a tanto but usually opt for a style with more of a belly for utility purposes. There is a purple spacer on the back spine for both aesthetics and added gimping. I was surprised at how light this knife was weighing in at 2.90 oz.

The only downside would be the sharpness of the blade. I do not believe it was even sharpened at the factory. The Mini Griptilian was razor sharp. I mean I could have shaved with this knife out of the box. Fortunately, Benchmade is going to resolve this issue. I will have to send it in but all is not lost. There is a Griptilian headed my way.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment